I’ve been watching it approach for some time now – growing closer like a distant sign on a two lane road through the flatlands.
50. Today I am 50!
A good round number (to go with my middle aged roundness I suppose) and a number that honestly carries a lot of meaning.
From a growing older perspective I embrace 50 with open, albeit wigglier arms. I have so many great role models of beautiful, graceful, and vivaciously aging women, so wrinkles, and softness, and the need to eat less and exercise more seem like a small price to pay for the wisdom and self assuredness that I have seen come with this age.
I’m excited about the 50s decade and the evolving maturity and experience that I’m entering it with. While, like you, there have been bumps and challenges on my way, I feel like I’ve done a pretty good job in growing as a human and arriving here with something to offer.
Here are some of the bits and nuggets I’ve learned along my way:
- Don’t watch the TV news. They only report stuff that’s scary and there really is good stuff going on.
- Be picky about the friends you choose. Not all people are worth your trust or heart.
- The world looks better through an optimistic lens.
- Diets don’t work. Really.
- People are not thinking about you nearly as much as you think they are.
- You are in charge of your life. So quit waiting for someone else to change so you can feel better.
- Your parents did the best they could with what they had.
- Why? is a sucky question. The better one is, What’s that about?
- Our job as humans is to evolve into the best we can possibly be.
- No one (or thing) can fill up the empty hole inside of you. That’s your own job.
- There’s nothing wrong with guilty pleasures, unless you use them wrongly.
- Spending money on making memories and those things you really enjoy is infinitely better than lots of bargains.
- You gotta know yourself. Otherwise you make weird choices that don’t work.
- There’s no excuse for crappy panties and bras.
- Eliminate the words should, try, if only, and yes – but.
- People really just want to be heard and understood. So, shut up and listen.
- Giving ultimately feels better than getting. Though there’s nothing wrong with getting.
- Know your values and then make choices and decisions based upon them.
- Dream and dream bigger than you think possible – even if other people think you’re crazy.
- If you need to make someone else wrong or a loser, then something’s screwed up with your picture.
- There is always a gift in any situation – look for it from the start.
- You are the ultimate expert about your life. Others’ opinions can be helpful, but they are not gospel.
- There’s no bad food, just bad portion size.
- Money equals freedom and choice. It does not equal happiness.
- Get rid of anything that doesn’t serve you – clutter, beliefs, habits, bad photos…
- Take care of your body. It makes a difference when you get to 50 and beyond!
- Cultivate quietness outside and inside yourself so you can hear your Wise Voice.
- For the love of God(dess), take a dang vacation!
- Accept the compliments that others give you (and believe them).
- Ask for help when you need it.
- There is a BIG difference between good and bad wine.
- Say no when you mean no. And then stick to it!
- Find role models who inspire you and who guide you in a direction you want to go.
- Laugh, giggle, hee haw, and hoot, a lot!
- Allow yourself to be enough – because you are.
- Flow with change. Find the way to make it a benefit.
- Know who you are and what you want.
Of course there’s more, but I’ll save that for 60.
What about you? Whether you’re in the decade of 20’s or 70’s you have life wisdom. What are the nuggets of wisdom that have been important in your life? Share with us in the comments!